Friday 7 May 2010

Granada Trip – Day 1

“I want to see the Alhambra Palace’s” said the Lady of the Villa. Brilliant I thought a Curry Trip around all The Alhambra Palace’s in the UK. Reaching over for “Curry Houses in the UK I felt a slap around my head.
“Not those  Alhambra Palaces, but the ones in Granada, in Spain” OK I thought I reached over for the PC to get the Tom Tom up to date and get maps from www.multimap.com. SLAP!
“Don’t bother with those, I have organised the whole thing. We are going by coach!” Is she mad I thought, I haven’t been on a coach trip since I was at Secondary School and I did not think I was that old I needed a driver.
Anyway that is why I am standing at 7;30 am (yes am!) waiting at a pickup point for the coach. Nice coach, nice reclining seats, air conditioning, and only a third full and complete with driver and tour guide. And off we go stopping twice for “driver breaks” to arrive in Granada at 13:15. Once there the coach took us on a bus tour of the city centre to give us a flavour of Granada. Once at the hotel and unpacked we were off to the town to have a look around for the afternoon.
We walked around the outside of the Cathedral and walked around the Christian area and identified places that we could eat at in the evening. Then it was off to the Moorish part of the town about 5 minutes away. This was very interesting with very narrow streets and it had a bazaar and very Arabic atmosphere.
Arrived back at the hotel at 16:00 and had one of the great Spanish traditions, a siesta. Later we then went out for an evening meal. We had decided on Spanish meal that night with a Moorish meal the next night. So we ended up, after a few aperitifs, in the main square at installed ourselves in the Centro restaurant.
A really nice Spanish meal with a lovely red wine unfortunately accompanied by very poor service. We had finished our mains and were asked straight away if we wanted a sweet. We asked for a 5 minute break. Twenty minutes later we managed to find a waiter and asked for the bill (la quinta) having gone passed waiting for a sweet. Another 10 minutes went by before we stood over a waiter and insisted we paid the bill. I was all in favour of leaving no tip but was over ruled by the Lady of the Villa.
Off we went to the hotel bar only to find even worse service and it was only 23:30. After a drink we left for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger
 
eXTReMe Tracker