Wednesday 12 May 2010

The Spanish NHS

HospitalI have only used the Spanish NHS once. Stupidly I managed to jam my finger between a wall and a large and very heavy planter last summer when I was installing an automatic watering system.
I did have my E111 card with me and was swept off to the local hospital with a large bandage wrapped around my finger. Once at the hospital, it was much the same as in the UK. My poor Spanish and the administrations people’s English together with a look at the bleeding finger soon got me registered, provided with a number on a card.
As I waited around for treatment, I was amazed to find posters in English asking (the English) not to get upset if the doctors and nurses did not speak English and asking them to bring a translator if they felt that they could not be understood or understand Spanish. What do we English want?
Other posters, in Spanish and English explained the Triage system. Basically the most serious cases handled first, minor once later, with the proviso that while you were waiting another patient may arrive with a more serious condition.
I was waiting for 30 minutes before my number came up and I entered through a secure door(!) the casualty department, meet by a nurse and shown to a room. In no time at all a doctor appeared and using a computer in the room accessed my details that I had given to the administrator on arrival.
At this point they undid my bandage and examined the wound (between cleaning off the blood spurts). By my poor Spanish, their English and good guessing I was told I was to be stitched after a local anesthetic was applied. Off they went stitching away. After which I was given an anti tetanus jab and a proper bandaging job. All this was entered in the computer. Just before leaving I was told to report to a local clinic once a week to have my bandage changed.
When I appeared at the local clinic they found my details using my name and date of birth so it was all linked up, just like the UK have been trying to do for years! Every time I went back to the clinic the details were updated by the nurses and when it was discovered that I had a slight infection in the wound a doctor was summoned immediately and I was given a prescription for antibiotics (which as in the UK you paid for). Eventually all was well and all that is left is a scar on my finger.
It was all very smooth and professional and as good as you would get in most UK hospitals and better than most.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger
 
eXTReMe Tracker