Sunday 25 July 2010

Tour de France

tourThis years Tour ends today as it has done since 1975 in Paris.The Tour de France is an annual bicycle race that covers approximately 3,600 kilometres (2,200 mi) throughout France and sometimes bordering countries. The race lasts three weeks and attracts cyclists from around the world. The race is broken into day-long segments, called stages. Individual times to finish each stage are totalled to determine the overall winner at the end of the race. The rider with the lowest aggregate time at the end of each day wears a yellow jersey.
It has in recent years been subject to many stories of doping, always denied, but more and more riders have been tested and found guilty, in the winner in recent years. It is not hard to understand why doping is used. The Tour must be the ultimate test of a bicycle riders endurance and the temptation to use performance enhancing substances or methods to ensure a ‘finish’ never mind a win must be strong.
I get to watch the race live on Eurosport when I am at the gym in the afternoon, my pain is absolutely nothing compared to the pain those riders must be in. I at least can finish when I have done my hour!
I take my hat off to those guys on the Tour. Fit they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger
 
eXTReMe Tracker