Wednesday 20 January 2010

Google Apps

At the start of this year I decided that I would go into "cloud" processing. This is where all your documents (word, excel, powerpoint etc.) are held not on your hard disk but on a providers data store. I also decided to explore Google Chrome as a browser and start to write a blog.
Those decisions made it only seemed write and proper to use the Google offerings. The experience has been mixed.
Google Chrome - jury is still out. To early to say. Pleased with some features, unsure of others and cant find some I would like to have. Only time will tell
Blogger - this has been a hit as far as I am concerned. Easy to get started. Still finding interesting features. Only complaint is that the "help" function is not as slick as it should be. put in a word search and it does not find it, but, there it is in the index. Strange.
Chrome Apps - this has been an abject failure after just 3 days. Luckily I only started putting my blog entries, in very rough draft on them. After 2 days of adding documents, it would not allow me to update them, just hung waiting with the sand glass showing. By investigating on the net I found that this was a general malaise that Google had not fixed. Lots, but obviously not all people had this fault. There is a fix. When you ask for a document and it hangs you go to the navigation box and change the //http to //https! The "s" means a secure site!. It was to flaky for me so I moved all the files to hard disk and use Office.
I do think this cloud processing is the way forward, however, the applications are a bit new and flaky. I do hope it happens soon as my version of Office is at 2003 and may get unsupported soon and I don't want t pay hundreds for the latest version.
Having said that SUN Microsystems has a "Office" lookalike called StarOffice8 that cost $34.95 as a download price. I may take a look at that in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger
 
eXTReMe Tracker